If you experience whiplash from a car accident in Washington DC, you have a soft tissue injury. If you sustain bruising from a Washington DC truck accident, you have a soft tissue injury. If you suffer from muscle strain after lifting heavy objects at work, that, too is a soft tissue injury. Do not let the word “soft” fool you, however: the damage from such an injury can be severe. What is a Soft Tissue Injury? A Soft tissue injury—or STI—is an injury to the muscles, tendons or ligaments in the body. It is usually the result of spraining, straining, overusing any part of the body, or contusions from a blow. Sometimes Soft Tissue Injuries have life-long effects. If you sustain such an injury due to another’s reckless driving, you may be entitled to compensation and should consult with a DC car accident lawyer. It may also behoove you to visit a doctor, both for your healing and because medical documentation can aid you in pursuing a personal injury claim.
When you sustain a soft tissue injury, you may wish to employ what is commonly known as the PRICE method. Always check with a doctor to be sure. PRICE stands for Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. If someone around you sustains a soft tissue injury (STI):
- Protect this person from further harm or from movements that will exacerbate the soft tissue injury.
- Rest the injured region as much as possible. The injured party should refrain from any activities that will put pressure on the injury site and use any aids a doctor has prescribed. For example, if one sustains a soft tissue injury to the foot or leg, one may have to use crutches.
- Ice the injured area as early as possible to suppress any bleeding and minimize swelling to the injury site. The suggested practice is to apply an icepack to the area for 15 minutes at four hour intervals for the next 72 hours after the injury.
- Compress the injury by applying pressure at the injury site. This will slow bleeding and swelling in the area. You may use compression tape, a bandage or an elastic band. It is advised that you apply this pressure as quickly as possible.
- Elevate the injury to slow circulation and thus, bleeding and swelling to the injured area. This will, in turn, stem blood loss and inflammation. For the first 72 hours following the injury, keep the injured area high above heart level as often as possible.
Once you have minimized the pain and potential for further damage, you can begin the healing process. This will be easier if you receive compensation with the help of a Washington DC car accident lawyer. Financial compensation can help with both short and long term medical expenses as well as the financial losses you have incurred from missing workdays. If you have sustained a soft tissue injury, you may peruse our website for more Washington DC car accident tips and consult with our Washington DC car accident attorneys to receive compensation for your pain. Serious DC car accident injuries deserve serious DC car accident attorneys.