Any native of a large metropolis knows that navigating crowded roadways can be very stressful — multitudes of people in a hurry, trying to get from one place to another. As drivers, we trust that the roads are safe and free of hazards. Anticipating the moves of other drivers is difficult enough without having to worry about an improperly designed on and off ramp or narrow shoulder. Such dangerous roadway conditions can quickly lead to traumatic and sometimes fatal incidents.
The maintenance of the roadways is the most crucial aspect of safe driving conditions. There are a myriad of potential dangerous conditions that can lead to an accident.
- Hazardous Weather: There are many conditions that can lead to an Illinois hazardous roadway accident. Hard rain or snow on typically safe roads can suddenly become dangerous. Black ice or excessive downpours can also lead to hazardous roadways. When the weather turns bad, additional attention must be paid to clearing roadways and making them safe for motorists.
- Poor Maintenance: The governing body in charge of the roadway is obligated to keep it safe for drivers.
- Poorly Designed Roads: Roads with limited visibility, sudden changes in elevation and steep turns can prove dangerous for drivers. Roads that are particularly narrow may also lead to collisions.
- Inadequate Lighting: When a street lacks sufficient lighting or if the lights are not in working order, it could pose a danger to motorists and pedestrians.
- Dangerous Crosswalks: Some crosswalks are located dangerously. There are no indicators such as signs or flashing lights to show the presence of a crosswalk or to alert drivers that pedestrians are crossing at that location.
- Dangerous Intersections: Examples of dangerous intersections are those that lack stop signs, stop lights or turn lanes.
- Bike Paths or Lanes: Bicyclists face real dangers while sharing the road with significantly larger vehicles. Lack of bike lanes on roadways that are heavily traveled by bicyclists can put bicyclists in a dangerous situation.
If you have recently been involved in an accident caused by poor road conditions, to include mislabeled roadways, poor lighting, or any other questionable safety hazards, you may need to speak with an attorney, like a personal injury attorney Dekalb County GA can rely on. Attorneys are trained professionals and are available at your convenience to discuss what your rights, as a driver are. There is nothing wrong with taking the time to find out what, if anything, can be done.
Thanks to contributor Andrew R. Lynch, P.C. for their insight into hazardous roadways and personal injury.